A quesadilla is a large flour tortilla filled with cheese and other items
• Novice cook: 30 minutes
• Experienced cook: 20 minutes
• 6 oz of sliced white or crimini mushrooms
• 3 cloves of minced garlic
• 1 small onion, diced
• 1 chopped green pepper
• 1 small, store-bought Jar of Salsa Verde. This is a green salsa. It’s made with tomatillos and other love
• 1 10 oz bag of Mexican cheese
• 1 packet of 12 inch flour tortillas
• 1 tablespoon of dried thyme
• 1 tablespoon of dried basil
• 1 table spoon of dried parsley
• 1/4 cup of white wine
• 2 tablespoons of butter
• 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
• Fresh ground pepper and salt, to taste (as needed)
• 1 can of non-stick vegetable spray
1. Slice your mushrooms and set aside.
2. Mince your garlic, onions and peppers and set aside.
3. Over a medium-high heat add 1 tablespoon of the extra virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet. When the butter is melted, add the mushrooms and garlic and saute for 6 minutes. Add the wine and saute until its gone. Set aside.
4. Over a medium-high heat add 1 tablespoon of the extra virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet. When the butter is melted add the onions and peppers and saute for untile the onions are lucid about 6-8 minutes.
5. Clean Skillet. Place back on stove top and spray to coat generously the top of the pan. Turn heat to medium. 6) take out a tortialla and spoon a 1/2 cup of cheese on one half of it. Take 1/2 cup of the mushrooms and place over the cheese. Take 1/4 cup of the onions and peppers and place over the cheese. Sprinkle some cheese, a few tablespoons worth over the peppers and onions. Take two tablespoons of salase verde and place on top of that. Fold the vacant tortilla over the other to form a half moon. Place in skillet and immediately place your makeshift press which is in the form of a smaller skillet of pot with some water in it. You don’t want to press down too hard though. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until that side starts to just get a bit golden brown. 7) Flip and return press and cook for a few more minutes. Cut and serve. Serve with sour cream, quacamole and salsa verde.