Notes: This will feed 4-5 people
- 1 LB of lean ground pork
- 1 LB of lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- Zest of two lemons
- 3/4 Cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 Onion, small dice
- Cooking oil spray as needed
- 3 Cloves of garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce:
- 4 Tomatoes on the vine, diced
- 3 Cloves of crushed garlic
- 1/2 onion, minced
- Hand full of finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil
- Slices of lemons
- 1 tsp of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
2. Sauté 1/2 onion and 3 cloves of minced garlic until slightly brown. Use the cooking oil spray to sauté the veggies.
3. In a bowl combine meat, onions, garlic, eggs, feta cheese, lemon zest and pepper and mix very well. Cook a quarter-sized piece of the meat to see if it’s seasoned well. Make into lemon sized balls. In a large non-stick sauté pan spray it with cooking oil spray and slightly brown balls on all sides. Slice the lemons and put in ovenproof pan. Add the meatballs to the pan, cover with foil and cook for 20-25 minutes.
4. For the sauce add the olive oil, onions, garlic and sauté until lucid. Add the tomatoes, red pepper, cover and reduce to low and cook for 25 minutes. Season to taste and add parsley.