The Dough (yield one pizza dough)
- 3 cups of All Purpose Flower
- 1 1/4 cups of water hot water (the hottest that comes from the tap)
- 10 ML of Instant Yeast
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil
- Extra oil to spread on to pan
- Corn meal (1 to 2 TBSP) to spread on pan
- Add 2 2/3 cups of flour, all of the salt, yeast, hot water and olive oil to the bowl of a stand mixture. Turn it on to knead for 8 minutes. Gradually add the remaining flour so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the bowl. If you do no have a stand mixer knead dough on a floured surface for 8 minutes. When the dough is compete cover, smooth it out with a drizzle of olive oil and roll it smooth into a large ball on a floured surface. If you want to use it that day cover it with a damp cloth and let it rise for one our or put it in a bowl in the refrigerator, cover it with plastic wrap and use the next day. Make sure that the dough has time to come to room temperature before making the pizza.
The Sauce (yields enough for two pizzas-you can also make this your go to quick pasta sauce recipe)
- 1 24 oz bottle of strained tomatoes with basil
- 1 medium onion, dice
- 1 green pepper, dice
- 2 teeth garlic, dice
- 1TBS of sugar
- 1TBS of Italian her seasoning blend
- dash of red wine or red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 TBS of EVO
- (optional) 1 tsp of red pepper flakes)
- Dice all ingredients and set aside
- Heat oil in a pan up (let the pan get hot first before adding oil)
- Sauté onions, peppers and garlic until translucent (do not brown) 3-4 minutes
- Add tomato sauce
- Add sugar
- Add herbs
- Add wine or vinegar
- Simmer for 20 minutes
- Use immersion blender or any blender and blend until smooth
- Sat and pepper to taste. Adjust seasonings to taste.
The Cheese: 1 pound of grated mozzarella
Heat oven to 500º F
1. Prepare pan. Oil the pan and sprinkle on the corn meal. Corn meal helps the pizza not stick, provides texture and flavour. This dough can spread on to a large cookie sheet. Use your hands to stretch out the dough.
2. Grate cheese and then put the grated cheese in the freezer for 15 minutes. Usually the cheese will burn too quickly. This will prevent that.
3) Ladle on half of the pre-made sauce on to the spread out pizza dough. Sprinke on your cheese and desired toppings. Do not overkill the pizza with to many toppings.
4) Bake on the lowest rack until the bottom of the pizza crust is golden brown.
5) Take you pizza out and slide it on to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes before cutting it.